I just wrapped up a Breakfast ‘N Learn at one of my customers on the topic of Storage Best Practices for VMware Environments. A storage agnostic view of things to keep in mind on the storage side of your VMware deployments.
Here is a quick hit of the server storage best practices that should be of value to all VMware users:
- Deploy a tiered storage approach
- Use a separate LUN for templates
- Standardize LUN sizes within tiers
- Handle exceptions on a case-by-case basis
- Avoid use of extents
- No more than 1 VMFS volume per LUN
- Deploy all virtual discs for a server on the same VMFS volume
For more details check out the VMware Resources for Virtual Storage portal.