So actually this is the Your Cloud Newsletter that I create for my private clients, but my english minor half had to play with the wording in the title. So much good stuff in this month’s edition that I decided to redact the private stuff and share the rest with you!
Have you budgeted for VMworld 2012 yet? Seems like no matter how early we tell everyone about VMworld, people tend to get the green light and register just weeks before the event…and then can’t get into the sessions they want. So make sure you start your planning now!
- VMworld San Francisco: August 27-30, 2012
- VMworld Barcelona: October 9-11, 2012
And here’s a ROI message incase your need to convince your boss.
vExpert Nominations Open
Is one of your co-workers a VMware Guru? Are they so dedicated to their Guru status that they blog about it after work? Then help make their Guru status official by nominating them to be a 2012 vExpert.
Latest Happenings from VMware
Other Recent Releases (with links to Release Notes)
- View 5.0.1
- vShield 5.0.1
- vCloud Director 1.5.1
- vCenter Server Heartbeat 6.4 Update 1
- vCenter Site Recovery Manager (SRM) 5.0.1
- vCenter Configuration Manager (vCM) 5.5
- vCenter Chargeback Manager (CBM) 2.0.1
- vCenter Operations Manager (VCOPS) 5.0
- vCloud Client for iPad (from iTunes)
- New View Clients: Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, and Android!
vCOPS has been getting lots of attention lately for the vSphere specfic dashboards available in 5.0. Here are some interesting tid-bits related to this dashboard:
- VCOPS Dashboard Overview video (via Eric Sloof)
- VCOPS Heatmaps and Event Management video (via Eric Sloof)
- VCOPS Dashboard with Lots of VMs screenshot (via Iwan Rahabok)
Microsoft Licensing is an ongoing discussion within the VMware Community. Emma (aka LadyLicensing) has a great blog where she posts on this topic for the wider IT community. There have also been some great discussions recently regarding MS Licensing for Desktop as a Service (DaaS).
New Flings available from the VMware Labs…
- Cloud Cleaner Cleans up your vCloud Environment
- Auto Deploy GUI is a vSphere plugin for the Auto Deploy component
- InventorySnapshot allows you to “snapshot” a given vCenter inventory configuration and reproduce it
- Onyx serves as a proxy between vSphere Client and vCenter Server to translate communication into PowerShell
- vBenchmark allows you to measure key datacenter operational and efficiency metrics
VMware Forum 2012 is a free full day event where you will hear VMware, Industry Experts, and IT Professionals discuss virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions as well as get a chance to network with your peers. Below are some of the sessions:
- Online Forum on April 12
- Dallas, TX on May 2
- Boston, MA on May 15
- Washington, DC on June 19
- Raleigh, NC on July 19
Check the VMware Forum 2012 website for full schedule and to register for one of these events.
VMware Customer Support Days
Have you attended a Customer Support Day yet? If not, you’re missing a golden opportunity to learn from our Global Support Services (GSS) experts!
Upcoming Support Days:
- April 4, 2012: New York, Manhattan
- May 22 – May 23, 2012: Palo Alto (Customer and joint Support Day with Cisco, NetApp and VMware)
- May 31, 2012 (Tentative): Virtual Support Day
- July 29, 2012: Dallas
- October 3, 2012: Boston
More dates, both in US and Internationally, are being planned. Please check the website regularly for updates and to register for an event.